Y Teigr Gwyn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rae's NaNo - For all you derpy pirate/magyck lovers out there :3

Go down

Rae's NaNo - For all you derpy pirate/magyck lovers out there :3 Empty Rae's NaNo - For all you derpy pirate/magyck lovers out there :3

Post  Raeda Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:45 pm

Why not? I was about to yell at Loki for not making a forum/thread. Oh well, there goes one opportunity. >_>;

Yeah, so mine won't be as chilling as Loki's, so it'll probably be all boring and childish. I'll end up swearing though. Trust me. It comes out one way or another. Might use some of my favorite pirate slang in this thing. 8D In other words, if you guys don't like it, go away, yeh son of a whale. 8u

First chapter? It's like...a lot. 3k + words. O___O Blame Write or Die, really. I mean, blame my wifey...or something. *is not actually married*

And non-edited. Omg, don't complain. I'm giving you something to read at least. So deal with it and shush.

Last edited by Raeda on Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raeda
Raeda
Cool Person
Cool Person

https://yteigrgwyn.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Rae's NaNo - For all you derpy pirate/magyck lovers out there :3 Empty First Chapter - I'm nameless and on the run

Post  Raeda Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:47 pm

Chapter One

My heart was pounding as I raced over the quay, feeling the cobbles slip beneath my bare feet, slick from the recent rainfall. Gasping I leaped over a pile of nets and landed heavily on my back on the ground, feeling the world roll around me. Sucking in a deep breath I rose to my feet, crouching low to the ground as I surveyed the area around me. It was silent, but I knew it wouldn't make a difference. Especially considering who was chasing me. Hissing in fury I used a nearby box to claw myself upwards back onto my feet. "They're not going to get me. I won't let them," I growled to myself, brushing my long wavy black hair from my face. Shivering I took off in a run again, this time heading for the docks and the ocean. The salty air whipped through my hair and cooled the sweat on my neck. Blinking rapidly I checked my position. Cursing, I realized I had run myself into a rut. I was stuck on the top road, above the docks. The only way back was to turn around and take the ladder there, but that would only result in my certain death. There was only one option left. I had to use my abilities, and soon. Unfortunately, this would mean I would light up like a beacon to my enemies, leaving me literally defenseless. Scowling I sighed and clapped my hands together, feeling the pure celestial energy pour out of the two Ya'war symbols tattooed there. My hands glowed for a few seconds before a shock wave of energy crackled across the quay, lighting it in an eerie and ghostly green light. Wincing and shutting my eyes I felt the light pour down onto my head, slipping downwards until my body was bathed in a cloak of green energy. It fizzed and spat as I began running towards the edge of the road, feet pounding as I gathered all that power to me legs and feet. Three...two...one, I thought as I flung myself over the edge, rolling in a ball in the air to make less wind resistance. As I neared the ground an inborn sense told me to unroll myself. I loosened my jaw, which had been clenched during my short flight, and waited for the impact on my feet. Bending my knees I landed feet-first on the ground, dropping low to absorb the impact onto the hard stone. That in itself didn't matter, my powers protected me from injury for a few precious minutes, but it was done more out of reflex than anything. Shaking my head to rid it of the star-bursts that always accompanied the use of my magyck I rose upwards, rubbing the tattoos on my hand reflectively. To the ships, I thought decisively, thinking that I could stow away on one of them. The Ka'ying Clan would not be able to follow me once I left their territory. They would have to admit to a full on war before doing so. Smirking I slipped behind a few large crates, tapping them to inspect their contents. Putting my ear against the largest one I was relieved to find that there were no animals in there. Sniffing the wood I caught the distinct scent of Rioban straw, the stuff that the Emperor of Taihs used for his horses. Grinning widely I tapped the wood and muttered a quick incantation under my breath. "Nos wari, mytaigu." The wood parted accordingly, melding seamlessly backwards until a me-sized hole appeared. Sticking my head through and inspecting the load I learned that my assumption had been correct. It was Rioban straw. Clambering in I pressed my left hand against the wood, watching it flow together until a needle-thin hole remained. Examining my quarters with a quickly conjured wytchlight I swiftly put another two dozen same-sized holes on all four walls of the crate, giving me sparse light and enough air to breath.
Pushing away a few sacks of the sharp-edged straw I settled down on a bed of rough burlap. Rolling over I felt bits of loose straw and the rough threads of my make-shift blanket dig into my side and arm. Closing my eyes I realized I was slowly falling asleep, the arduous use of my powers draining most of the energy I had left from my body. Within seconds the inky darkness of sleep had washed over me like a warm ocean tide, dragging me downwards into the realm of dreams. Ihosi tokari, I thought numbly before my consciousness was stolen from me. Thump. Stirring slightly I winced and covered my ear with one hand, trying to block out the noise. Another sharp thump brought me to my sense and I sat up, my head knocking the rough wooden ceiling of my box. The jabbering of voices slowly became more easy to hear as I woke myself up from my sleep. Digging into a fold in my tunic and pulling out my Lumosmeter I saw that it was already noon. Three hours, not bad, I thought blearily as I crept over to one of my air holes. Prodding it with my finger it obligingly widened until I could see clearly from it. Leaning over I placed my eye over the hole and surveyed my surroundings. The origin of the loud noises became apparent as I slowly took in what was happening. My crate was stacked top and foremost on a pile of even larger ones, so my view of 'my' ship was clear. It was a simple merchant barge. Three masts and two cannon, something typical in this kind of ship. It was painted a plain dark oak brown and the masts were pure white fabric pulled taut by the ropes. What surprised me was the name. "Bane of Wyrethan," I whispered, feeling the words flow smoothly out of my mouth. "Wyrethan, Wyrethan, that sounds familiar," I puzzled, my brow knitting together in thought as a brooding expression came over my face. The name was so familiar, just on the tip of my tongue, but I could quite place it. Shaking my head ruefully I sighed. There's no reason why I should know it anyways, I told myself to assuage the curiosity that was coming over me. Shrugging I drew back from the hole. Licking my lips I wished I had had the foresight to bring along some food and water, but considering the circumstances in which I had come here it was plain to see that there was no point dwelling on such things. I'll get some food once I'm on the ship, I promised myself silently, feeling my stomach rumble with indignation. Suddenly I was thrown against the wall to my left when something picked up my crate, dragging it through the air towards the cargo hatch of the ship. Gasping for breath, which had been driven out of my lungs when I had hit the wall, I staggered forwards on my knees to look out the air hole, surprised at what I saw. It was one of those Ephytines, the largest animals in the Jabjab Kingdoms. Its long prehensile trunk was grasping my box and pulling it off the pile I was on, taking me towards the ship. Watching with an avid interest I realized that my journey back home was finally beginning. I was no longer cooped up in some 'safe house' waiting for the rescue that would never come. I was free, well, nearly, and going home after two years. My parents, cousins, aunts, uncles, my entire family, hundreds all told, thought I was dead with a dead certainty. I couldn't wait to prove them wrong. Magyck lessons with Kiran, sword fights with Madja. I missed my two siblings with in a heartbroken sort of way. Those first few months without them had hurt bitterly, my heart torn asunder by the loss of the two. Both were elder but they treated me with respect. Well, Kiran did after I had beaten him more than just a few times in a game of Yagun, the strategy game used to teach the children of my household tactics and other such similar things. Blinking the image of the scene changed slightly as I watched the long wrinkled red snout of the Ephytine place me down on the lower deck of the ship, which had been opened to allow for the cargo. Smiling widely I sat back and waited for the chance to sneak out of this crate which had had me cooped up for four long hours, considering that this entire time I had been sitting around thinking about my family and being carried over to the ship had taken a full quarter candle.
Fifteen minutes, I told myself in my head, knowing that I could barely wait to get out of this restraining crate. I felt locked up again, like I had been when I had been stuck in the House of Iar. The ship had set off a few minutes ago and I knew it was dangerous to go out when the crew members were still checking out the ship and making sure that everything was in order and tip-top shape. Baring my teeth in a silent snarl and kicked up my legs and lay down on my back, staring up at the dark ceiling of my box. Because there weren't any lights in the lower levels of the ship it was pitch black in my area and I could hardly see my fingers in front of my face. Shivering I realized that there was also nothing to keep me warm. Straw did insulate, but only slightly. And my roughly made blanket was no use against the bone-chilling cold that sucked the warmth from my limbs, leaving me a shuddering wreck. Closing my eyes I began a silent prayer to Sidorna, the Mother Goddess of All That Lives, clasping my hands together in an intricate design that was meant to honour her. I used this prayer as an escape from reality for a few minutes, putting all my strength into hoping that she would hear my prayer and grant it. "Ionu jai goamba naturi" I whispered under my breath. Lady Sidorna, hear my prayer, it meant in the language of the Kiiars. My people. The rest of my prayer was silent, a private thought so that only Lady Sidorna would know of it. But thankfully, once I opened my eyes a few heartbeats later, the noises of the clumsy crew members had silenced down. Sitting up painfully, my muscles stiff with cold, I wondered on whether or not it was safe to leave me haven, however cold it was in here. "You know what?" I muttered to myself, making an executive decision. "I'm getting out of here. If I get caught hopefully I can simply plead I'm a peasant girl running from her abusive father. They'll probably believe me...or I'll use compulsion on them." Scowling I pressed my palm against the wooden wall in front of me, sighing with relief as the wood heated up and flared a bright virulent green from my magyck. Smirking I pushed harder with my hand until it was literally sinking into the wood. But the timber stayed where it was pushed to, meaning that now there was a hand-shaped hole in the side of the crate. Pulling my hand back out I took two fingers and slipped them in the hole, moving them in quick circles to widen it. Soon enough I had an exit large enough to let me out of this place I was now considering more of a death trap than something that had taken me away from my persecutors. Wriggling through, since apparently I had misjudged my size, making it slightly to small at the hips, I tumbled onto the hard timbered decking of the ship. Brushing down my tunic as I stood I wondered where I was exactly in the ship. "I doubt I'll find out by standing here confused and dazed," I reminded myself dryly. Turning on my heel I closed my eyes for a few seconds until they had readjusted to the nearly pitch black room. Now I was able to discern faint shadowy shapes around me. "Better not leave any evidence," I said with a smile, and with a wave of my hand closed off my exit from the crate. Turning around I stretched to even out the kinks I had in my back and yawned as loudly as I dared, hoping there was no one nearby. Satisfied that my little noise hadn't been detected I padded over to the slightly shining door, touching it lightly with my fingertips. Making sure it wouldn't creak I delved into a small pouch on my leather belt and drew out a tiny crystal bottle filled with a thin violet liquid. Dabbing some onto my fingers I brushed them across the hinges. Testing the door I realized that I had been holding my breath this entire time from apprehension. Shrugging a smile tugged at my lips again as I stowed my oil back into the pouch at my side and slipped out the door into the lamp-lit corridor. Frowning I glanced at to my left and noticed a dank passage way leading farther into the ship’s bowels.

Shivering I stepped down that path, knowing that it would lead to better hiding places as opposed to simply traversing the edges of the ship. Only small nooks and crannies would be there, that I knew. Lifting up my hand with the wytchlight in it I slowly dimmed the brightness until it looked only like the natural shine of a green glow-worm, and animal typically found in these merchant ships. Luckily I did so as well, because as I did so a guard walked down the wider hallway, humming some bawdy tune while tapping his sword against the wall in beat. Scowling I wondered how I had missed the sound, as the guard was stumbling as if he had just been drinking. Shaking my head ruefully I edged farther down the bleak passageway, stepping quickly behind a thin pillar of wood used to hold the roof up. Hiding my hands by my sides I extinguished the wytchlight and peered around it carefully, wondering if the guard was gone yet. No such luck, as he was standing just by the junction in whom both halls met, still humming and tapping his sword against the walls. Great, I thought miserably. I'm stuck here without food or water and this man here refuses to leave. Let's see if I can... Smiling I slipped out from behind the column and spoke two words of power, creating a simple illusion of a tankard of beer. Grinning wickedly I padded out of my hiding spot, knowing that the man would simply think I was a ship's drudge by my ragged and musty clothing. Smiling benevolently I tapped him on the arm, stepping back as he swung his sword around with a low shout. "Hey!" he called out angrily, glaring at me. "What do you think you're doing, lass?" The furious look on his face faded into a smirk as he saw the beer in my hand. "Looks like Arvil decided to make up for cheating last night in cards, didn't he," he muttered in his rough and grumbly voice, groping for the tankard with a large hand. Holding it out stiffly I attempted to form the look on my face to something somewhat kind and admiring, though truth be told, I would have much rather to knock him out with a handing block of wood and gone on my way. The only problem was, I mused, was that it would create unwanted attention. No, admiration was the best way to go. Letting go of the cup as the man grabbed it I dexterously dodged out of the way of his other hand, which was groping for one of my secret places no doubt, and smiled coquettishly. "Kind sir, could you point me down to the kitchen again? I was lost looking for you and I came upon you only from your excellent humming." Fluttering my lashes for extra measure I was pleased to notice that the guard didn't seem to concerned about my question. "Oh, down the same way you came from, lass. Just turn to the first left. Come back again soon, eh?" He winked at me with a gross look upon his face, and hiding my disgust I grinned and turned around. "Thanks you sir," I called back over my shoulder before hurrying back into the darkness. There, now he was taken care of, for the illusion was hiding what was truly a tankard of sleeping powder mixed in with the vial of oil I had used earlier. He wouldn't even be able to tell what it was until he was fast asleep, as the oil was perfectly harmless towards humans. Scurrying up the passageway I touched my ragged cloths quickly and turned them into a boy's breeches and loose cotton shirt, knowing my curve-less body would only lend to my new boyish appearance. Touching my hair I created the illusion of a short cut, not wishing to cut off the curling black locks so soon after having them grow back. Wishfully the men of the boat would be too thick to notice my strange eyes and feminine face. If need be I was prepared to expend more power to change the look into one more rough and angular, befitting the countenance of a boy. Smirking at my plan I did as the guard had bade, turning into the next hallway the moment I came upon it. This one was lit with tiny flickering lamps, each carefully enclosed in a thick heavy glass that, unfortunately, blocked most of the light coming from it. But it was still a welcome relief from the darkness in which I had just come from. Though it took me some time to adjust to the new lighting I ran down the hallway as swiftly as I dared, knowing at any moment someone could step out of the various doors the lined the sides of the hall. This part was the crew’s quarters and I would definitely be caught if someone appeared at this crucial moment. Shivering with apprehension I tiptoed as quickly as I dared to the end of the hall, my breath catching each time a floorboard creaked. After several heart stopping moments I was now standing outside of the kitchen, the noise and warmth brushing over my face. Now, I thought decisively and slipped through the door, letting it swing boldly behind me. It was time to pray to Priath, my own personal goddess, for protection. Because without her I was dead meat, perhaps literally. I had no idea what the temperament of this ship’s captain was, and for some reason I felt a strange foreboding feeling that I didn’t want to know. “Hey!” a loud voice called, and I glanced upwards at a large thick-set man with a stained apron tied around his ample waist. “You there! No slacking! Get to the meat and turn it. After that you can go without dinner.” His face was red from the heat of the kitchen and no doubt anger from having to deal with slacking ship rats. Smiling at the chef benignly I slipped past him and hurried over to the large hunk of deer meat simmering over a carefully contained fire. “My turn,” I muttered to the tall boy manning the turning handle for the meat, shoving him aside roughly as any boy would do. “Chef wants ye at the soup pots.” Glaring at him I felt disconcerted to see that he was staring at me with an odd expression on his face. “Wh-” he began in confusion. “Go, quick before te’ chef sees ye. Ye don’t want ter be caught for slackin’ off, hmm?” I shoved him again and this time he wandered off towards the other fire where two large cast iron pots hung from a tripod, the hearty stew bubbling grotesquely inside. “Great,” I muttered under my breath. He might know I’m not a boy, I thought, rage boiling up inside me. If he knows I’m going to be in so much trouble.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

FOOTNOTE: Okay, so it's not spaced, edited and she's nameless, along with mostly everyone else introduced here. Be quiet, alright? Like I said, Write or Die. PM me if you want to know what it is. It can be very productive. x)
Raeda
Raeda
Cool Person
Cool Person

https://yteigrgwyn.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum